NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR CULTURE AND THE ARTS
Philippine Cultural Education Program
Sa Ating mga Katutubong Epiko, Mito at Alamat
I. BACKGROUND AND RATIONALE
True to its mandate of developing culturally-oriented researches in the basic education, the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) through its Philippine Cultural Education Plan (PCEP) embarks on a more challenging journey to bring to the attention of more for soldiers of knowledge the significance of a heightened cultural awareness manifested in an enlightened cultural perspective across the different subject areas, a culturally responsible curriculum and culturally sensitive pedagogy.
Pursuant to PCEP Objective No. 4 which is “to develop basic instructional materials, such as textbooks, teaching-learning manuals, and multimedia materials for cultural education,” the project, Bayaning-Bayan: Sa Ating mga Katutubong Epiko, Mito at Alamat, is an imagery building and visualization of myth, epics and folklore characters featured in the Sagisag Kultura ng Filipinas. It includes visual arts contest, exhibits, a series of press conferences, critiquing, patent / registration and publication to support the establishment of Philippine Cultural Index of Knowledge and development of MTB-MLE local instructional materials.
II. SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES
1. To develop and establish clear images and visualization of Philippine myth, epics and folklore characters in the Sagisag Kultura;
2. To popularize the developed and established images and visualization of Philippine myth, epics and folklore characters in the Sagisag Kultura through an exhibit; and
3. To come up with a publication featuring the final images and visualizations.
III. PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Bayaning-Bayan: Sa ating mga Katutubong Epiko, Mito at Alamat involves imagery-building and visualization of characters of Filipino myths, epics and folklore through visual arts/painting contest, conferences, and exhibits to support the establishment of the Philippine Cultural Index of Knowledge and the development of Sagisag Kultura instructional materials for curriculum development.
IV. COMPETITION GUIDELINES
Contest proper is from February 23 to June 4, 2015
At least Thirty (30) Grand Prize winners will receive P30, 000.00 in cash
Theme: Bayaning-Bayan: Sa ating mga Katutubong Epiko, Mito at Alamat involves imagery-building and visualization of characters of Filipino myths, epics and folklore through visual arts/painting contest, conferences, and exhibits to support the establishment of the Philippine Cultural Index of Knowledge and the development of Sagisag Kultura instructional materials for curriculum development.
A contestant may submit more than one (1) entry
The Bayaning-Bayan Painting Competition is open to all Filipino Painters, 18 and above.
Specifications of the Painting Piece:
Size: Not smaller than 18 x 24 inches, vertical orientation, museum wrap, 2” side
Medium: Oil-based Medium on Canvas. Mixed media is not allowed, meaning, the
use of a medium or elements other than the specified medium will be ground for
Should be framed or have hanging provisions
No signature must appear on the painting nor on the frame.
The frame, including the matting should not exceed 5 inches.
- What to Submit
- Actual Art Work
- Accomplished Entry Form
- Notarized Affidavit, enclosed in the entry
- One 1 x 1 inch photo of the artist
- Photocopy of the birth certificate or baptismal certificate (optional)
- Short description about the art work which can include the following:
•Bakit napili ang bayani?
•Ano-anong mga katangian ng pagkabayani ang gusting ipakita sa pintura?
•Saan ibinatay ang interpretasyon ng mga katangian ng bayani?
When and Where to Submit:
JOSEPH “SONNY” CRISTOBAL
PHILIPPINE CULTURAL EDUCATION PROGRAM (PCEP)
NCCA Building, Room 3D 3/F #633 Gen. Luna Street Intramuros, Manila
FOR PROVINCIAL ENTRIES
Submit entry on or before May 28, 2015 at the following address
LUZON – Baguio (University of the Cordilleras)
c/o DR. NORMA MARIA RUTAB
Contact No.: 09208307445
VISAYAS – Cebu Normal University
c/o DR. LEODINITO CAÑETE
Contact Nos.: 0932-8494442 Email: email@example.com
MINDANAO – Davao
c/o JESELYN DELA CUESTA
Contact No.: 0917-3131921 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NCR & NEARBY PROVINCES:
Painting and documents must be submitted at the PHILIPPINE CULTURAL EDUCATION PROGRAM Office, Room 3D 3/F #633 Gen. Luna Street Intramuros, Manila. Submit on or before June 4, 2015.
Documents received later than the specified date will be disqualified. Participants may also send their entries via courier or postal mail.
Contact Details for Inquiries and Confirmation:
For confirmation of participation and other correspondence purposes, preferred means of communications is via email address email@example.com. Please label/caption your message subject “Bayaning-Bayan Painting Competition.”
Rules and Regulations
1. The winning entries in each category shall automatically become property and copyright of the NCCA-PCEP. Non winning entries should be claimed on or before December 3, 2015. Otherwise, it shall automatically be a property of the NCCA-PCEP.
2. In line with the objective of the competition to develop creativity, originality, artistic excellence and image creation with Filipino Epic Heroes all entries must be ORIGINAL WORKS wholly executed by the contestant. Entries which are copies of existing works in terms of composition will be disqualified even if they are rendered realism, medium, color scheme, or even if other elements have been added.
3. By submitting the entry form, the contestant agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the competition.
4. The NCCA-PCEP shall select the members of the Board of Judges. The selection of the members of the Board of Judges shall be the sole prerogative of the NCCA-PCEP.
5. Judges may decide not to award prizes if the entries do not meet certain artistic and competition requirements. The decision of the Board of Judges as to whether or not an entry or contestant complied with the rules and regulations, as well as in all aspects of the competition, SHALL BE FINAL.
6. The NCCA-PCEP reserves the right to withdraw any award and/or cash prize at any time should the contestant violate any of the rule and regulation of the competitions.
7. The contestant shall hold the NCCA-PCEP, and/or any of their directors/ trustees, officers, or staff free and harmless for any entry or artwork lost or damaged in transit or during storage or while in the possession of the aforementioned entities or individuals.
8. The NCCA-PCEP reserves the right to use the name and photo of the painter and his/her entry free of charge for any broadcast, telecast, print or any other medium.
9. The NCCA-PCEP also reserves the right to exhibit the entries, as it may deem fit; and to decide which of the entries will be displayed during the exhibit as not all entries may be displayed.
10. All winners shall attend the awarding ceremonies.
11. Should an artist be affiliated with a gallery or any art institution, the organizers will not be liable to any agreement signed by the artist prior to or after joining the competition for any percentage of sale or proceeds acquired as a result of joining the
12. If the artist have not indicated any selling price on the entry form, the artwork will be labeled “Not For Sale”.
13. Failure to comply with the above rules and regulations shall automatically disqualify the contestant.
V. CONFERENCE, EXHIBITION, AWARDING AND LAUNCHING
AWARDING. National Conference and Exhibition featuring the shortlisted entries shall be held in Manila.
EXHIBITION. Selected entries will be exhibited at SM North EDSA’s The Block on September 11, 5:00pm – until September 14, 2015.
CONFERENCE. A conference will commence at the NCCA Leandro V. Locsin Auditorium on September 18, 2015 from 9:00 to 12:00nn
AWARDING and LAUNCHING. Awarding of Winners and Bayaning-Bayan Booklet launching will be held at the NCCA Leabdro V. Locsin Auditorium on October 22, 2015,
For more details, you may contact:
PHILIPPINE CULTURAL EDUCATION PROGRAM
Room 3D 3/F #633 Gen. Luna Street Intramuros, Manila
Attn: AGNES VILLAREAL
Telefax: (02) 527-2192 loc 309
Provincial entries: Submit to PCEP Office on or before:
MAY 28, 2015
For NCR and nearby provinces Submit to PCEP Office on or before:
JUNE 4, 2015
MR. JOSEPH “SONNY” CRISTOBAL
Director – PHILIPPINE CULTURAL EDUCATION PROGRAM
National Commission for Culture and the Arts
Room 3D #633 Gen. Luna Street, Intramuros, Manila
PLDT Land Line Plus (02) 986-4147
Telefax: (02) 527-2192 loc. 309 /